Saturday 31 March 2012

Tales of a Tanorexic - My current favourite Fake Tan


Hello again. I thought I ought to share with you my latest favourite purchase, well actually its a re purchase - which for me - means its GOOD.

Now, I love fake tan, but I'm oily and spot prone and if you are like me, you can find it a real problem getting a nice colour without going on the sunbed or sitting in the sun.

I have two favourite's right now, and I think I can say I have tried them ALL. So chuck your fake bakes, shove your St Tropez, and invest in something far more effective with a much nicer smell and colour.

Xen Tan.

Xen Tan is not a new product, I remember watching a review by a You Tube guru called lollipop26 a few years ago, and I think at that point it had just come out of cult status and become more mainstream. In short, the product has been popular among the experts for a while, but no one wanted to share it because it was really really good. (That tends to happen, proper guru's don't really share the really good stuff and keep it secret ;)). Xen tan has a wide range of products, all comparable to the ranges of its competitors (St Tropez etc), such as gradual tanning body lotion, a powder bronzer, instant tan, sprays and lotions etc so whatever preparation type you prefer, there is something for all.

I have bought the Mist Intense twice now, at £24 from Fenwicks and I love it. It claims to be a `Weekly Self Tan' but for me it doesn't seem to last more than a few days. It has a dark brown mist, with a vanilla sweet smell (this does not last, it became fake tan smelling within about 2 hours on me). You spray it onto your tanning mit (any will do, I use a He Shi mit) and apply it in an upward motion over your legs and arms in long strokes. The finish is great and is very very natural. I prefer to dilute it with a bit of moisturiser on my face because it goes quite dark. The colour is a believable olive brown, which could convince any stranger that you are originally of Mediterranean origins. Its not crazy dark, but its a nice colour, not orange. If you apply two coats, its a very dark brown. Again, not orange which I hate seeing. I wanted to recommend this to a few girls I saw in town last Saturday night, but I decided I like my nose the way it is.

I have also tried the Xen Tan Deep Bronze Instant Self Tan which is a thick gel cream texture and is for the face and body, again claiming to be long wearing, but isn't really. I really like this product too, but I find it a bit too sticky and not as pleasant as the mist. I recommend using this if your skin is drier.

On a final note, I have a cheaper brand which is my runner up.  I think L'oreal has a lot to say for itself in the fake tan department, and the Sublime Bronze Instant Result self tanning gel, is really a pleasure to use. Its about £9 and its got a nice shimmer to it (not chunky glitter, just subtle which we like), and is not dreadfully smelly either. It has, a slight caramel smell, but over time, like all DHA's (the ingredient that turns your skin brown) it does smell a bit. Its not terribly offensive, and nothing a quick spritz of DKNY won't mask for a bit. Its great if you decide you are going out at the last minute and want to bronze up your pastie body fast.

On a final note, I'm not a guru. I don't claim to be, I just love make up, and anything that compliments it. I think most girls I know are the same - but maybe I am a little obsessed, hence the name of my blog.

As always, I've photographed the directions and ingredients bit and added them below. Thanks xxx

This the the mist - its my favourite of the two  I've mentioned.
This is the Deep Bronze 





Here are a couple of links for you to check them out yourselves :)  :-Xen Tan Website link
Sublime Bronze link

No comments:

Post a Comment